Daily wordcount: 125
Total wordcount: 11389
It's going slowly, but it's going, and I haven't missed a day of my 100 word quota since the 2nd. Also, I've gotten both Herc and Iolaus in big trouble, so go me.Running
: 25 mins today, at a slow 'you should be able to have a conversation' pace, but still : 25 minutes! Wahoo! And in beautiful crisp clear fall weather, too, with beechnuts crackling underfoot.Yuletide
: OK, the Yuletide obscure fandom story challenge is gearing up
, and the rules have changed a bit this year
- to the good, I'm thinking. All the details are in those two links, but here are the salient points as far as me and my big pimpin' hat are concerned:
- anyone can join in except the people who defaulted last year. So join! Yes, YOU!
- only rare & obscure fandoms are allowed: no Harry Potter, no Buffy. I remain firmly convinced that Hercules: the Legendary Journeys is a rare fandom. And so is, oh, Barrayar, and Hamlet, and...lots of things. "Why not let the beast...run wild?"
- now's the time to start posting requests. You can request as many fandoms as you want, and include specific characters, for both stories you want to read and stories you want to write. This isn't the sign-up round yet, so you aren't tied to any of those requests, although you do have to take them seriously.
- this time, when the sign-up is live, you can include specifics with the story requests if you want. That means that you could request, let's say, a Hercules story featuring Hercules and Iolaus, and add a specific request like "Slash, please, I don't care about ratings, just have Iolaus call the shots!" To give a completely random example. But you can also leave that field blank. I think extremely specific requests run counter to the secret santa idea, but then again, if you tend to write humor and the person you're writing for has a big yen for a death story, that might be handy to know beforehand.
- the best part of Yuletide is writing a story for someone else and making them happy, because you wrote something that they wanted, something just for them
. And there are lots of people on my friends list I would like to make happy, but how can I if they won't JOIN? Are you getting the point, already? *eg*
See, earlier I was angsting about not being adventurous enough - because while I can think of pairings to request, I can only think of Hercules/Iolaus to actually write, and that seemed so lame. (OK, maybe with Nebula thrown in the mix, but still.) I toyed with Iolaus/Ares, but it's too tough for me, and I also think the definitive Iolaus/Ares story has already been written
. But then halimede
reminded me that Yuletide is about writing a gift for someone, not making your brain explode in frustration, and I had to agree, especially when she pulled out the big guns: "And in a medium dominated by women, the idea tends to arise that you have to go beyond your comfort zone to the point of masochism, because otherwise, you're not being altruistic enough." Well, yeah. Boo to that, then. *g*